Sunday, December 14, 2008

Positive slash negative

I have this tendency to become wrapped up in religious conversations and debates, and in one of these instances, my friend quoted Albert Einstein during her argument that God did exist. Today I came upon this:

Albert Einstein did not believe in God in a "personal" sense and discounted the existence of a creator. Einstein was, in fact, a rationalistic pantheist and follower of Baruch Spinoza. Many people misinterpreted his words in public, to which Einstein himself responded by saying: "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

While a pantheist doesn't contest to the idea of a God, it is wholly different from the traditional God that was referred to in this conversation. It's interesting to see how convoluted ideas can become when they are applied to certain contexts, to the point where something supports the very thing that it is aiming to undermine. Another example that highly parallels this case is in Nietzsche's writing. In Thus Spoke Zarathustra, lines such as "You should love peace as a means to new wars - and the short peace more than the long" (in section "On War and Warriors") have been cited as evidence that Nietzsche was a pro-Nazi warmonger. Anyone who reads material like this out of context have to remember that Nietzsche was talking about an intellectual, internal struggle, and not a literal war of violence and bloodshed.

Ideas to check out further:
Kenneth Burke

I'll elaborate on this later...

No comments: