Friday, March 14, 2008

Rocko's Modern Life = Glorious.

I wasn't too into this show when I was younger, but damn, now that I understand all the innuendos and adult jokes, I can't stop watching it. Same with Hey, Arnold! -- it's the subtle content, now, that makes me want to keep viewing.

I wish Nickelodeon hadn't diverged so much from the 90s Nicktoons. Now most of the shows consist of live action and dialogue of, "OMG, He's soooo hot! I think Brad went out with Brittany who had a crush on Brian who just broke up with Brianna." "OMG I'm 13 years old and I'm a teen pop superstar!" Why isn't it about just being a kid anymore? Little kids shouldn't have to watch this crap. Spongebob Squarepants seems to be the only show left with clever lines and material.

That being said, here are some ultra awesome quotes/subtleties that I wasn't aware of when I was younger... a lot of them dodging censorship rules, which makes me happy:

Rocko's Modern Life

1)
Rocko: "Biff Benderhaus, you wear contacts too?!"
Biff: "Yes, but only when I'm jacking. When I'm not, I wear these." <-- innuendo... there are sooooo many masturbation euphenisms on the show
Rocko: "Why?"
Biff: "Because they make me look intellectual."
Random Woman: "Excuse me, are you an intellectual?"
Biff (aside): "See what I mean?"
Biff: "Why yes, yes I am. How can I help you?"
Woman: "Well, I have some questions about Nietzsche." <-- lol YES!
Heffer: "You know, Rock', maybe I should get some glasses."
Rocko: "You have problems with your eyes, Heff?"
Heffer: "No, I have problems not knowing who Nietzsche is."

2)
In the episode where Rocko keeps coming in late for work, on his boss' board with the diagram, there's "E=MC" and a picture of a hammer beside that. (--> MC Hammer)

3)
In the one where Rocko has the nail biting problem, Hef rings the doorbell, and when Rocko answers the door Hef asks why his hands are in a meat and a monkey. Rocko says "There is nothing going on with my meat and my monkey!"

4)
When Peaches is playing paddle ball, he messes up when he gets to 666.

5)
Kid: "Daddy, teacher says everytime a gas cap is found an angel gets his wings."
Dad: "Your teacher's full of snot."

6)
In the episode where Rocko gets very sick and needs to get better before the big wrestling match, he goes to the hospital and meets up with that crazy doctor that gives him an oversized medication pill. But the funny part was the vision test hanging on the wall that was spelled out like this:

IM
APRISON
ERINTHE
CRAZYDO
CSBROOM
CLOSET

(--> "I'm a prisoner in the crazy doc's broom closet")

7)
When Rocko and Filbert are fighting, a guy knocks on the door, they answer it and yell out "WHAT IN THE HELL...o"

8)
When Rocko is using an excercise machine (one of those rowing things), he sets the level to "Africa's Queen," but it changes to "Deliverance." Then, when it starts on the screen in front of him, he's going down a river with a banjo-playing guy on a bridge and rednecks on each side of river, one of them holding a pig.

9)
Rocko is out of work, and he's taken a "phone job," saying "Baby, oh baby! Ooooh, baby!" into the phone (and it turns out Mrs. Bighead is on the other end).

10)
Geoffrey: "Don't forget to pull out your twangers, and play with your balls!"

And these aren't really about adult humor but I still find them hilarious:

11)
Fillburt: "Is she gonna be alright doc?"
Vet: "Well, Mr. Turtle, I'm not sure how to tell you this...but...that's a loaf of bread..."
Fillburt: "No she isn't! I saw her move yesterday!" (talking to the loaf of bread) "Don't listen to him Margaret, you're gonna be fine."
Vet: "I'm sorry sir, but I'm afraid I'll have to take her from you..."
Fillburt: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Vet: "I'm prepared to make a trade..." (Hold's up huge jar of some kind of sauce)
Fillburt: "Saaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuccccccccce!" (grabs the jar and runs away)

12)
Mr. Cheese: "I am the cheese. I am the best character on this show. I am better than the salami and the bologna combined."

13)
Heffer: "This guy's asking too many questions, what do I do?"
Filbert: "I don't know... Punch him."



Hey Arnold

1)
Arnold: "You can do it grandpa!"
Grandpa: "No, all of my brain cells are dead."
Arnold: "You have plenty of brain cells left!"
Grandpa: "Not since Woodstock..."

2)
Arnold, reading a tomb stone: "Here lies Cynthia Snell // She lived her life and went straight to... I can't read the rest." (last part seemed buried under the ground)

3)
Harold: "...And it says here we can approach school grounds if there are outside circumcisions."
Arnold: "Stances!"
Harold: "Stances! Outside circumstances!"
(quirky sound heard in the background)

4) Grandpa: "Let's go fishing... For the halibut." (--> "for the hell of it")

I realize that adult overtones are found in kids' shows all the time, but they keep me amused nonetheless.

No comments: