Thursday, February 7, 2008

Perception

For those people that get high or fucked up all the time, I wonder to what extent they would want to keep that change in perception; if they were given the chance to trade the consciousness we currently have to something such as being stoned all the time, nonstop... how their views would be changed. Like flipping everything upside down... if the feeling of being stoned was our "natural" state... and some plant/drug/THC/etc made us into the normal sober state that humans are at now, would those people be happy? Or would they be unsatisfied with the stoned feeling, since it is so pedestrian and constant? There are people out there who are pretty much high 24/7, so this flip-flop would really change nothing event-wise, but how would people's view of it differentiate? Would they be happy with their consciousness now, or would they attempt to get "fucked up" by making themselves sober? I'm just wondering if people's drug use (mainly marijuana... so addictive drugs aren't really looked at in this argument) is mostly due to the feeling that they like when they are high, or if it's simply the fact that they are altering their consciousness, period. Don't get me wrong, I really support the people who are productive when they're in altered states. But in this entry I'm just referring to the people who get fucked up for the sake of getting fucked up... in a constant mode of catatonic stupor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think those people just want to escape whatever reality they messed up for themselves. Escapism is really an epidemic people refuse to take seriously. Getting fucked up lets people forget about whatever problems they have and in-turn end up delaying the solution and probably compounding the problem. As far as perception, the truth is perception is a very confusing subject matter, because no one person's is the same. I know what you are trying to get out about saying our "natural state." It's hard to comprehend because everything is just electrical impulses, and who knows what we think is real, in fact is. I guess that kind of harkens to The Matrix, and all the metaphysics behind that. I could probably talk about this topic for the next septillion year, but since this is only a comment I think I am going to stop here.